13 Sept 2009

comfort of design (2)

Popular US Decorator Discusses

The Comfort of Design (2)

Howard spoke to us by phone from Jacksonville about decorating and her favorite paint colors, pallets and furniture pieces.

Q: How would you describe your style ?

A: It has a timeless quality, because I mix antiques with modern pieces. A hallmark of my style is that use

color in a monochromatic way. When you limit color contrast, it brings a sense of calm, order and serenity

to a room, even if the colors are vibrant.

Q: What is your decorating philosophy ?

A: Keep it pretty. I want people to love the way they feel when they walk into a room, rather than have their

eye drawn to one thing in a room.

If someone walk into a room and says, “ Oh I love that painting.” I think I’ve failed. I’d rather they say. “I

love that room, I love being in there.”

Q: What is the simplest way to update space?

A: Paint. That’s the easiest. It is inexpensive, it only takes a day, and it’s guaranteed to bring about big impact

Q: What colors are you most drawn to when decorating?

A: I’m personally drawn to a soft, neutral palette or blues, greens and sands. This kind of palette is something

that’s soothing and calming to me. I think because I grew up on the beach those colors always make me at

home. I like to say, I’m married to beige, but I have affairs with color.

Q: Do you have favorite paint colors ?

A: Glass Slipper, Healing Aloe, Vale Mist, Cream Fleece, Winter Wheat.

Q: What are some easy ways to freshen up a home for the summer ?

A: The first thing you should do every summer is give your house a really good cleaning. The second thing is

to add fresh, live greenery, like post of ivy, orchids-they last forever and are easy to maintain, in the

bedroom, you could update your bedding. In the dining room, take a look at your chairs and make sure

they’re comfortable. Do you need new ones? Can your existing ones be slipcovered? In the living room,

add pillows or lamps. A new coffee table can usually greatly improve a living room.

Q: Are there furniture pieces and accessories you turn to again and again ?

A: My signature favorites are starburst mirrors (I dig around for antiques). Bridgewater club chairs (English

arms, delicately turned legs and high, tight back) modern coffee tables, painted beds, upholstered dining

room chairs, antiques that have a modern silhouette. For accessories glass hurricanes, glass lamps with

colored shades, brass accessories and I always love antique boxes and books.

Q: Is there a design trend that you dislike ?

A: People are to cought up in mid-century furniture, I like it in small doses, but I don’t know if it has staying

power. People randomly make purchases without careful consideration and thought, then call the look

“eclectic”. Furniture and decorating is an expensive investment and I think it should be treated with

importance.

Q: Do you have favorite design blogs?

A: Things. That I inspire (freshpalette.blogspot.com), the Peak of Chic ( thepeakofchic.blogspot.com ),

Style Court (stylecourt.blogspot.com), Habitually Chic (habituallychic.blogspot.com) and Absolutely

Beautiful Things (absolutelybeautifulthings.blogspot.com)

The Washington Post/Josh Gibson

LA ZZIDOroom&artdesign

No comments:

Post a Comment